What are the benefits of owning a house? What are the advantages over renting?
There are many advantages to homeownership:
A sound investment – When you carefully choose a home you can afford, the payoff can be great. As a homeowner, instead of paying rent to a landlord, each month when you make your mortgage payment, you are building equity in a place of your own. The more mortgage payments you make, the more equity you’ll have. And unlike most things you buy, a home can actually appreciate in value as time passes, building more equity.
- Tax advantages – The mortgage interest and real estate taxes you pay are tax deductible which can reduce your tax bill.
- Real estate is marketable.
- You can make your own decisions about design and décor.
- You can invest in upgrades that will not only bring you pleasure but can also add to the value of the property over time.
- You have control over the piece of property. You are not answering to a landlord.
- Will my fixed rate mortgage payment fluctuate throughout the life of the loan?
- How will my taxes be paid?
- What is private mortgage insurance (PMI) and how does it benefit me?
- What is an escrow account? Why do I need one?
- How long will it take to close my loan?